Monday, April 13, 2009

update from the brink of... something

hello all-

first I'd like to inform everyone that while this post does have pictures that accompany it, they're not for the weak-stomached. Actually, I made that up, but the point is that they are gross pictures and therefore I'll spare you from the misery.

Gross pictures of what, you ask? Well, let's start our first round of Humiliating Tales from the Southern Hemisphere:

About 6 weeks ago, another girl (hereby referred to as K) was really sick. This is a good friend of mine on the program, someone I went out with and had a good time with. When she became really sick, we were at the Kaikoura station (see below) and that was just not a good place to be sick. In any case, it turned out that she tested positive for a whole host of bugs, including glandular fever.

What is glandular fever, you ask? Well, it's the New Zealand term for mononucleosis, a common college-student illness all over the world. Regardless, none of us really knew that so we were all freaking out when we heard 'glandular fever'. But I digress.

So a few weeks later, I started to get sick with what appeared to be either the flu or a nasty respiratory infection. Just before we went on the Mokihinui river trip (see below), I managed to swing by the campus health center and get checked out. For some reason, they only charge you if they diagnose you (which is a story for another time). Anyway, long story short the lovely woman there gave me Amoxicillin (old school antibiotic), painkillers, and nasal spray, along with a $40 diagnostic charge. Bravely, I headed out into the wilderness.

Fast forward to last Thursday. I'm still not getting any better and I've completed the antibiotic course. I woke up on Thursday morning with an itchy rash that started on my arms and ankles, and soon would spread to the rest of my body. Thinking it was just a laundry detergent reaction, I went off to work at the IAC. Well once I got there, my boss was convinced I had a fungal infection. I called the campus health center anyway, just to be safe. As it was just about to be the extended Easter weekend (that they take seriously here, folks), they suggested I come in.

And here is where it gets particularly hilarious. I leave work, leave my tupperware full of yummy home-made gluten-free pizza and fries in the staff fridge and instead lunch on $9 worth of fried potato wedges. After waiting a full 30 minutes for the bus, I ask the bus driver where the best stop to get off is. He grunts at me and tells me to move it along. I sat down near the back and finished my food. Then, wondering how far the rash had spread, I took off my shoes and socks and was busy publicly inspecting my feet and ankles on the bus (i know, gross) and suddenly the bus stopped.

"mskhgkhshgkj get off the bus sdlkjskljdf" said the driver.

"what?" said I.

"sdklkjsdkflsjd catch the other bus skjdljksds" said he.

Not knowing what was going on, I grabbed my backpack, empty wedge container, shoes, and socks and ran off the bus. I realized then that another university (and therefore health center) bound bus was right behind us. Barefoot and in my dress slacks and work shirt, I jumped around trying to get the other bus' attention, but to no avail. I felt like a complete idiot, made better by the high school boys standing on the sidewalk giggling at me.

Humiliation, I say.

Dignifiedly (or as dignified as one can be when holding shoes, socks, and styrofoam at 1pm on a thursday afternoon in the fall in NZ) I started walking towards the university.

6 blocks later I found the health center. After 3 appointments, $200 i didn't have, and many a blood test later, it turns out that I too had glandular fever. The rash, is a characteristic rash (oh joy) that's found only when Amoxicillin and mono interact. How AWESOME! Not.

Anyway, so I've spent my long easter weekend (friday-tuesday) sleeping and watching scrubs off of my external hard drive. New Zealand is a killer, folks.

Hope you're all doing well! Happy Belated Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment